Introduction to AuPair USA
The Au Pair USA program offers a unique opportunity for cross cultural exchange and affordable legal childcare. It can have long term benefits for parents and their children, and for Au Pairs, through extended exposure to another culture and language. Au Pairs are caring, live-in childcare providers who live as an extended member of their host family and provide childcare. Au Pair USA offers au pairs the opportunity to live and work in the United States for 12-months.
The AuPair Programme can begin any time during the year and participant of this programme will be granted J-1 exchange visitor visa.
Work placement details
As an Au Pair, you provide up to 45 hours per week of childcare. Childcare duties will take up no more than 5 ? days a week and no more than 10 hours per day.
All Au Pair duties will be focused specifically on the children; no heavy housework is required. Some daily tasks may include:
Waking the children, dressing infants and toddlers, bathing and playing games with them;
- Preparing meals for the children, tidying their belongings, making their beds and doing their laundry;
- Driving the children to or from school appointments and activities;
- Caring for and watching the children while they are asleep if the parents are not at home;
- Sharing apart of your home country with the children through games, story telling, cooking, language and love.
Benefits of becoming an AuPair
- A direct weekly payment from the host family;
- Two weeks paid vacation; one full weekend off per month;
- A $500 educational allowance;
- Private room and full board (meals included);
- Medical insurance;
- Four day arrival orientation in Washington, D.C. or New York City;
- Regularly scheduled social and cultural activities with other au pairs;
- Paid round trip international flight AND domestic transfer to the host family’s community. (Depending on the host family).
Eligibility. Who can apply?
We seek enthusiastic au pair candidates who have the sincere desire to share their customs and culture with an American family. The right candidate is open-minded with a positive and adventurous attitude to complete a one-year work commitment.
- Be 18 to 26 years-old and in good health;
- Have a genuine love of children and previous childcare experience;
- Speak and understand English and be a secondary school graduate;
- Have an international driver’s license and a minimum of 50 hours of driving experience;
- Documented childcare experience;
- Have a Valid Passport;
- Be a non-smoker or be prepared to stop smoking if required by the host family;
- Be of good character and receive a police clearance report;
- Physically and emotionally healthy;
- Be prepared to commit to 12 months away from home;
- Have not previously lived in the U.S. as an au pair.
How to apply to the Programme:
- Step 1
Make an appointment at the office to come in for a pre-interview and pay 500 JMD.
- Step 2
Pay your registration fee of 100 USD after successfully passing the pre-interview. Please be advised that the registration fee is non-refundable.
- Step 3
Upon returning your application form and all other Documentation you are required to make part payment of your program fee 100 USD.
- Stage 4
Another interview will be conducted between you and the host family via telephone. After we have received confirmation from the host family of chosen candidate you will be contacted and the necessary arrangements made. You are now required to pay the remaining programme fee of 300 USD and SEVIS fee of 35 USD.
Important: Global Choices does not choose Au Pair, the host family does. The placement process begins at the time of receiving the original application and registration. During the placement process, Global Choices will notify the participant of the placement status as well as confirm the final airport destination.
The program is open all year round.
- Filled out Global Choices application Form;
- CV/ Resume;
- Copy of valid passport;
- High school graduation diploma or certification;
- A minimum of three character and childcare references;
- A letter to the family and cultural sharing essay;
- Proof of English language ability;
- Doctor’s health verification;
- Proof of valid driver’s license;
- Criminal background check;
- Photos that best represent your personality and manner.
Work permits and Visa:
Once a placement has been finalised, the participant will receive the DS-2019 form, which is called a “Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status”. This document shows the name of your sponsor and the purpose of the programme, and specifies its duration. The DS-2019 is not a visa application form.
In order to apply for the J-1 visa, you must take the DS-2019 form, proof of payment of the US$35 SEVIS fee, and your passport to the U.S. embassy in Kingston. Once the form is processed, the visa is issued and attached to your passport. It is extremely important to retain a copy of the DS-2019 form throughout the remainder of the programme.
As a reminder, Global Choices is not responsible for final visa authorisation decisions and visa issuance. The U.S. embassy has its own guidelines relative to issuing U.S. visas; Global Choices has no control or say regarding an embassy’s final visa decision.
Please note: The DS-2019 Form will only be issued once the participant’s program fee is paid in full.
We are glad to be affiliated and associated with the following organisations:
Find out more about Global Choices affiliations