Social Work in USA
Introduction to Social Work in USA program
Global Choices is offering 12 to 18 months Training Program to Social Workers from Jamaica. They should remain committed to promoting international understanding through professional development and cross cultural exchange.
Training Program consists of hands on training:
- Providing direct care in residential settings supporting children with emotional and behavioural challenges;
- Providing direct care in residential settings supporting children and adults with developmental disabilities;
- As case managers for children, families and adults;
- Providing teaching assistance and direct support in schools with children with specialized needs;
- As family support workers providing services to children and families with intense support needs;
- As community integration specialist providing services to clients with chronic mental illness.
Apply for Social Work USA program
Work placement details
Ideal candidates include:
- Special Education Teachers;
- Social Workers;
- Social Pedagogues.
Work placement includes one week orientation upon arrival.
Locations: Various locations throughout the United States predominantly in New England (Maine, Rhode Island, Massachusetts)
The program is twelve to eighteen months. This is determined on a case by case basis depending on the experience of the applicant. Please note this is not a program for students, it is a program for professionals who have either graduated with degrees in the above mentioned fields.
Residential Trainees are almost exclusively involved in the daily activities, obtaining more hands-on experience. This program tends to be twelve (12) months.
Assisted Residential Trainees have a small percentage of administrative responsibilities. This is usually the case for those applicants with a graduate degree or more experience. The length of this training is eighteen (18) months.
Placement Start dates: February/August/November
Requirements. Who can apply?
- A bachelor’s degree/diploma level in a social services related field of study;
- Interested in skill building and professional development in the United States;
- Able to understand academic training and professional identity well enough to communicate professional concepts with American colleagues;
- International Driver’s License.
Pocket Money to Bring to US can be required depending on the placement: $3,300 (an estimated $3,000 is for the purchase of a used car. Public Transportation is not available. Assistance will be provided at the end of the program to resell the car.)
Note Briefly: Housing is provided but is not on site. Public transportation is not an option. All trainees are required to have an International Driver’s license and suggested pocket money to purchase a used car. Assistance will be provided with the purchase of the car from a wholesale dealer and assistance will also be provided to resale
- Completed Application Form;
- Copy of bachelor’s Degree or Diploma;
- Copy of your Resume;
- 2 Passport Size Pictures;
- 2 Recommendation (1 from Previous Employer or institution);
- Criminal (Police) Record.
Social service professionals will receive a monthly stipend of US $865, but in some cases can be higher depending on the placement.
Type of visa: J-1 visa
The earlier you apply for your American J-1 visa, the better we can recruit for you and meet your needs. Remember, you need to apply for J-1 Social Service Professional a minimum of 4-6 months before the anticipated start date.
- Registration fee: 5000 JMD;
- SEVIS Fee 180 USD.
- Booking fee: 700 USD;
- 12 months: 1750 USD;
- 18 months: 2250 USD.
The Booking Fee is applied towards the programme fee balance.
What is included in program fee?
- Week long orientation;
- Health insurance;
- On-going support.
What is not included in the program fee?
Cancellation and refund policy for Global Choices (Jamaica)
- The registration fee is non-refundable in case of cancellation at any time;
- Cancellations received after being accepted to the programme and before receiving a job placement confirmation will be subjected to a refund of the programme fee less US$ 600;
- Cancellations received after job offers have been confirmed and before DS forms have been issued are subject to a refund of the programme fee less US$ 700;
- Cancellations received after DS forms have been issued are subject to no refund;
- In case of visa denial, the unused DS2019 form must be returned to GLOBAL CHOICES (Jamaica) with proof of denial, after which refund will be issued less:
- US$ 500 if Global Choices (Jamaica) is advised about visa denial BEFORE the scheduled DS start date;
- US$ 600 if Global Choices (Jamaica) is advised about visa denial WITHIN 2 weeks AFTER the originally scheduled DS start date;
- There is no refund if Global Choices (Jamaica) is advised about visa denial MORE THAN 2 weeks after the originally scheduled DS start date.
- The participant/partner agency is not eligible for a refund once he/she has entered the U.S. This includes: changing of jobs, termination of employment and or/early departure from the U.S. back to the home country.
In case of cancellation or visa denial the refunds are made within 30 days
We are glad to be affiliated and associated with the following organisations:
Find out more about Global Choices affiliations